Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day 2

We have created a schedule for tutoring: Mon, Wed, Fri 10am - 11am. We will be using the Barton System, which was created by Susan Barton, using the Orton-Gillingham approach. The tutor is dyslexic herself and my son immediately connected with her. The tutoring is done in her home/office. There are bedrooms that have been set up as private tutoring rooms. Her and her Mom are both certified to tutor using the Barton System. While my son is having his tutoring sessions, I will use that time to work with my 3 year old on a preschool workbook. They have a quiet dining room table we will use, away from the tutoring rooms. Wifi is also available for me to use to do lesson planning and other work online.

Now that is all in place, I find myself wanting to connect with other Moms doing the same thing I am doing. I have searched many different outlets for Moms homeschooling dyslexic children, with no success yet. I can't be the only person doing this! I have searched twitter using hashtags, facebook, and meetup.com. I did however send some emails to fellow homeschool Moms asking if they could help refer me to someone in my similar situation. We will see what comes of that.

So, we begin tutoring tomorrow! I can't wait to get in the routine of what will be my life for the next few years. It is going to take some getting used to, but I am anxious to get it going!

No comments:

Post a Comment